Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sophomoric my ass.

WARNING: This post will come off as arrogant, but I'm not in a good mood, so, so be it. Please don't let the tone of this post reflect your overall opinion of me. 
                                                            
I thought that, instead of sitting around on my ass this summer, I would be productive and take summer courses. Not just to lighten my load during the fall, but to be able to devote my attention purely to two courses of study instead of juggling eight or nine. I thought, in particular, I would like my Short Fiction class, because one of my few strengths is English, and I happen to enjoy short stories.

Turns out, to be as polite as possible, the class is full of retards. Accordingly, the teacher is about the most basic one could ever find. She's like a kindergarten teacher: she overanalyzes to the point where she takes everything literally and defines words such as "through" or "as" on a regular basis. We read stories, such as "The Necklace" and "The Story of an Hour", that I was an expert in since Junior High. It's frustrating. I realize the Fashion Institute of Technology isn't exactly an academic school, but this is just embarrassing. 

What's worse is, the professor refuses to acknowledge me and my participation. I'm frequently the only one who knows the meaning of a word or symbol, and I find myself speaking out almost every two minutes. Does she care? No. She asked what necrophilia was (and even had the audacity to write it on the board as if we were children, although some of my peers could pass) and when I answered, quite eloquently, she said "yeah, that's it" quietly without even looking at me. I'm sorry, but that's just rude. I can understand that she wants others to participate, others who may be in need of education, but I worked very hard to get to the point where I am now, and I feel this should be appreciated by others. And while some may call me sophomoric, I know better. 

In high school, it was always the smart people who got attention. I wasn't one of them. Now, in college, only the stupid people get attention. And I am not one of them. That is just a big grand WHAT THE FUCK?

Sorry. 

1 comment:

.kate said...

hey ma.

remember NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND?

looks like you are with the ones who got left behind.

you can thank bush for flushing advancement down the toilet. hoooo ha.

i would suggest emailing the prof and asking her for a more advanced reading list, and just simplu say, "I'm not challenged enough"

If I were the prof and a student asked me to teach them more indepth I would jump at the chance. But hey, maybe she's just trying to make a quick buck.

Hang in there, I don't think this summer is what anyone expected.