Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inked.

Angels-A.jpg picture by Sarima2

After two years of mulling and procrastinating about the idea of body art, I finally succumbed to the temptation. A facsimile of Milton Glaser's logo for Tony Kushner's epic Angels in America, this icon represents a lot of things; first and foremost, my adoration of the play, and the unbelievable amount of inspiration it has given to me. An event and work which garnered numerous praise and accolades, including the 1993 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, and two consecutive Tony Awards, I am inclined to believe that it is truly one of the most important works of the 20th Century. Aside from that, this tattoo represents my interest in literature, drama and cinema (it was made into an impressive television miniseries in 2004), my homosexuality, my insanity and my political nature. 

In and of the image itself, several meanings are present; for one, the letter "A" obviously has great significance to me, and it also represents a beginning, the "alpha" as it were. The logo is described as "an elegant synthesis of the mechanical and organic" and this dichotomy is something I live with every day; this Apollonian/Dionysian philosophy is one that drives us all.  
After having popped my inky cherry, and in a sense triumphing over symbolizing my entire life concept, I wonder if I will get another...

Pics of the actual tattoo will come soon, when my skin is not bright cherry red.

No comments: